Gladys studying art...

Monday, April 25, 2011

Miso Susanowa



"I am a graphic , 3d and sound artist working in virtual worlds. I love working with others and cheerleading the growth of this remarkable communications medium. Depending on the lighting, I might look like a pixie, Audrey Hepburn or something completely different. But since physics assures me that everything is a virtual reality anyway, I don't worry about it over much, and neither should you. :D" - Miso Susanowa

To me, Miso Susanowa's art work is very spunky and out of the box. Most of her work is done in Second Life and Worlds. She's a risk taker and because of that she's also very innovative. When it comes to graphic design I'll give her a 15 on a scale from 1 to 10. Her skills in the virtual world are pretty damn good. She has a great sense of humor and doesn't take herself that seriously with I find attractive about her personality.

The image above is a virtual creation of her "solar-cell-powered" computer. It might look simple but that takes a lot of skills to even think up the idea, then creat a virtual computer, using an actual computer.
This is an outside-looking-in view of her room in Worlds. This is a good example of her humor. On the outside of the walls are giant solar panels and all of those are for her computer only.
The above image is a piece Susanowa created using images of DNA and RNA Helices. The complexity and how intricate the piece is shows how skilled Susanowa is. She's definitely someone who knows her way around virtual reality. I can't even begin to comprehend how long it probably took to create this piece.
You can find the picture of the man's face in Miso's virtual fire exhibit. She actually used the text for the gallery from the Lascaux Caves in France. This stuck out to me since we learned about the caves at the beginning of this semester.

This is her Grid flower and this piece show's how clever and creative Miso is. The concept of making a flower, something found in nature, out of technology which is found in a virtual world is amazing to me. It's as if she took the imagination out of her head and actually gave it a life of its own. It's something that we can also witness, not just an image in her mind alone.








Her iron orchid dress shows her skills with using textures in virtual worlds. Something that seems like she's mastered in my eyes. I can actually see metal material of the dress even though it's colored. I can even imagine the sound it would make against the ground where the model is standing.



Below is a real life piece by Len Zuks.
Here's Miso's virtual version or "copy" of Megabyte. She came pretty close. Maybe even the closest anyone would be able to with the technology available. Her talent is truly unmeasurable.
The piece below shows her humor in another way with her combination of cartoon images and real life images. She's always doing something completely different from her last piece.
I love her Lady with a Fan piece because it has a theme but its also contradictory. It's obviously a giant fan, but it also looks like a woman holding fans in her hand. Miso is also great at picking good colors for her work. The yellow and red are part of the image and any other set of colors would have given off a different vibe.
In her data garden, there are many different pieces, but I love the respect she shows for the technology she uses to create her work.
This picture is funny to me and is one of the reasons I made the assumption that Miso is a spunky person because the picture is her writing over the image of a rival's avatar. I love the humor and the vibe that she's fearless, but then again who would be in a virtual world.



My two favorite pieces by Miso Susanowa are the Commodity Piece(on the right) and the Theater of War piece(below). I can't choose a favorite because they're both brilliant.

Like in her, data garden, Susanowa uses sounds to bring the Theater of War alive. Some people may find it creepy but I love her interpretation of patriotism in this piece. The audience members are the ghosts of fallen soildiers.

This Commodity piece pretty much speaks for itself, but I love how she uses her sarcastic humor to bring social awareness to both the Commodity piece and the Theater of War piece. To me in a way this piece pokes fun at art that is sold for profit. Does art lose it's essence once a price is put on it? What about the artists that produce art to make a profit? Can they still hold the title of artist?



1 comment:

  1. Dear Gladys,
    I am so sorry I missed this when it was published! It's a great review of my work and nice critique. I will cherish this piece!

    Love,
    Miso

    ReplyDelete