Gladys studying art...

Monday, April 25, 2011

Module 3 Artists

Gracie Kendal is a Second Life Artist. I understand her style of creativity with the word bubbles and portraying her art to us for us to look in and see two characters speaking to each other. On the left we see her avatar wishing to be human and on the right we see the real Gracie sort of letting her avatar know that the real world isn't that pleasant. Most people might find it weird and say that Gracie is living vicariously through her avatar, but the point of the art is how we get to view it and i think its cool  how she talks to her alter-ego.

Eadweard Muybridge is a master of the art of photography. His works are composed of frame by frame images of movement. I think his art is part of the basic framework for today's photography. On the right is his piece called Ascending Stairs (1884-85). I think it's cool how he captured a type of everyday movement we all take for granted like climbing stairs. Each frame is a completely different picture but the composition of all of the frames gives off the sense of motion and it cool that he captured it with a still camera. Especially back in 1884, when camera technology was far behind what it is today.

On the left is a piece by Nam June Paik. It's my favorite by him. The man is a genius with video art and I see him being a legend forever. He's bent the norms of visuals in television by playing around with the technology's glitches. I love the piece on the left because it boldly states that we are a media consumed nation. The piece it beautiful to look at but I get his message. We are a nation made out of television! It controls our society.




Mariko Mori is also a video artist, but her work differs from Paik's style. In this clip from her piece called The Shaman-Girl's Prayer (1996), Mori herself is playing the role of a being that is of this Earth and also from some sort of supernatural world! I love the subtlety of the piece and most of all it left me thinking and wondering.  It sort of tingles my science fiction senses. There is also a spiritual essence to the character and her eyes are hypnotizing.


Robert Rauschenberg's piece, Monogram(1955-1959) Freestanding Combine. Is so cool to me. First of all I love how is style is almost like organized chaos. This piece in particular reminds me of those certain books from my childhood that actually popped out at me when I opened them up. I love when art jumps out at you rather than always on a flat surface. It brings it closer to life rather than just something for us to observe. Its more intriguing and when a figure is popping out, its almost like they stood out of the picture or piece in order to say, "hey I have a story to tell."


This piece by the artist Four Yip left my mind boggled. I find it creepy, but in the weirdest way, cute. The humanoid in the image sort of looks like a child who is also part rabbit. On his shoulder is some type of mini dog that is part pig. I appreciate the angle both creatures are leaning toward because it makes the image even more interesting. It sort of gives off the vibe that the child like creature and it's pet are tired from something or sad. To me this is art at it's finest. The reason being because, it gave me an emotional response, I have to answers for what it is, but rather, a bunch of questions rise up.






Toni Dove's Spectropia is super crazy to me and when I say crazy I mean awesome! When mentioned in class, I was so fascinated with it and I've been on the search to find some time of hard copy of this piece. To me it defines the revolution of art and it's one creation(among others of course) that is leading us into the future of technology. I never imagined that anyone could create movements out of already filmed motion and also alter them around and make images speak as if  they have a mind of their own.  Of course we've all witnessed animation before, but this is beyond amazing because it's actually manipulating what's already created. Its so fascinating that in some ways its scary.

 Stelarc might seem crazy today, but he is definitely thinking beyond the human body and it's limits. I've heard about people that do suspension before, but this guy is intense for sure. On the right we see the artist as composed as if he's sitting on the ground, but to comprehend that he is hanging not by a thread, but by his skin is super crazy. He's definitely opening minds about the limits and capabilities of the human body. His use of technology to push the possibilities of  where the body can be taken is genius and I think a lot of people should be taking notes right about now.

On the left is a piece called "Off-Sense" by the amazing Masaki Fujihata. The man is a leading innovator in the digital world and in this piece its easy to see why. I've never seen a image capturing all those different dimensions all in one. He should be called the perception bender because he differently knows how to do that!








The Thomson and Craighead piece called London Wall is simple yet speaks out a lot about ourselves today and how use social networking sites basically to talk to ourselves. Its a composition of status updates from popular sites like facebook and twitter and mocks us even though its the bs we put online ourselves. Thomson and Craighead describe it as something that reveals the "idle mutterings of ourselves to ourselves as a form of concrete poetry." I would love to face this wall personally. I'm sure it would be hilarious to read. What would be better is coming across a status update  posted by me!



Vaneeesa Blaylock's  second life piece Twenty Five Women, is fricking bold! I understand women making a statement in a virtual world by getting naked but anyone of those women could be a guy behind his computer screen so in a way I would say it's sort of cowardly. I would like to see her get those same friends involved in a real life demonstration. I understand there are laws prohibiting nudity in our society, but there are ways to make a statement about the objectification of women. For example, they could walk around scantily clad or in bikinis and high heels.




 Okay, its very rare for me to judge other artist's craft because I don't think art should be judged, but I'll be blunt about this one. Jennifer Ringley to me is not an artist and her Jennicam series is not art. It's just lame. I think she's just a female pervert who enjoys the world of voyeurism and instead of her being the watcher, she'd rather be watched.

No comments:

Post a Comment