Gladys studying art...

Monday, May 2, 2011

IMPROV EVERYWHERE!

Man was I happy when I got Improv Everywhere as my artist to research! One day I plan on having my degree in theater and I did Improv in high school for the stepping stone phase of my career. Currently I am taking my first college level Improv course and I have to admit, it's been a blast!  In January of this year my friends and I were part of the no pants subway ride in downtown Los Angeles and it was the funniest moment of my life thus far.



Improv Everywhere is a performance art group that was started in August 2001 by Charlie Todd. It started in Manhattan, New York and although has it's principle actors, most times the public can be involved also. It's is now an international celebration of silliness. Their slogan is " We Cause Scenes" and the pranks that they do are called missions. They don't consider themselves a flash mob because they started "causing scenes about two years before flash mobs began and also because sometimes there performances only require a handful of people.

On Sunday, January 9th, 2011 over 5,000 people took off their pants on subways in 48 cities in 22 countries around the world. In New York, the10th Annual No Pants Subway Ride had over 3,500 participants, spread out over six meeting points and ten subway lines. 


One of my favorite Improv Everywhere missions since I used to be a best buy employee is Operation Best Buy. Basically a bunch of IE members flooded a Best Buy Dress like the employees! Talk about funny!

In the Frozen Grand Central prank, over 200 people when to a terminal in New York's Grand Central Park and on cue, they all froze in place.


Like I mentioned not all of the pranks have to involved a large amount of people. For example the Worst Ice Skater prank is about a man who get stranded on an ice rink and gradually becomes an expert.

Today Improv Everywhere has completed over 100 missions and they are getting bigger every time and funnier.

No comments:

Post a Comment