Gladys studying art...

Monday, March 7, 2011

LACMA

Upon arriving at the LA County Museum, it was confusing to me where to begin, but I was immediately attracted to the really tall escalator that traveled to the top of the Broad Contemporary Art building. It was breathtaking how high it was and when I reached the top I was surprised how high up we really were. It was a lovely view.


Inside the building I came across this piece by Andy Warhol. Most people wouldn't think a stack of boxes is art, but I could easily identify with the boxes of Kellogg's.  I definitely felt like a kid again next to the boxes; one who's dream of endless cornflakes came true! I grew up eating cornflakes and til this day, I still eat them. It's one of my favorite snacks and always seems to satisfy my cravings.
Another piece I came across in the third level of the Broad Contemporary Art building was this statue of the late Michael Jackson and his pet monkey Bubbles. The moment I saw it, I yelled out, "Bubbles!" It was almost as if it was a pet of mine also. I grew up watching Michael Jackson music videos, learning about his family history and his family was well known in mine. He was someone that inspired me and I still haven't gotten over his death.



In the brand new Resnick Pavillion, there was the Fashioning Fashion: European Dress in Detail (1700-1915) exhibition. I was blown away at how creative and fancy each costume was. I love fashion and it made me realize that the Europeans during that time really knew fashion and took it seriously. I came across the dress and out of all the other dresses it was the only one that seemed to have had some African influence in it. I was born in West African so the patterns reminded me of some out my native clothing patterns. It stood out to me among the other costumes and I sort of questioned whether it was made for someone from the lower class in Europe at the time.

In the Ahmanson Building, specifically the "Art of the Pacific", I came across this huge piece of cloth with what again reminded me of the patterns on my native clothing from where I was born. It also reminded me of my blanky that I can't easily fall asleep without. It's also made of a African style patterns and I've had one ever since I was a little girl. My family calls it a "lappa."  It makes me feel safe at night, which helps also when I'm traveling. It's my piece of comfort at home or away.



In the Art of the America's building I was surprised to find this piece by John Riggers. It was a geometrically correct piece that depicted these African maids in front of houses. What really stood out to me even though you have to examine the painting to notice them is that all the women where holding miniature houses in their hands. This piece reminds me of the women in my family and how hard they all work to provide for their family and how tough its been immigrating from overseas and starting new lives here in the U.S.



In the Hammer building there was the very blunt painting of dead animals: a rabbit, fish, pig, etc. Some of those things in the picture I'll admit I've eaten but there is no way I would eat the other stuff. I quickly identified with the message of the piece because I've grown up eating lots and lots of meat, but recently I've been re-thinking whether I want to continue to eat meats. This piece shows the contradictions I have about meat. For example, the fish was just as dead as the rabbit, but I felt so bad for the rabbit and no emotion toward the dead fish or pig.




In the Pavillion for Japanese Art, I was was fascinated with the Netsuke gallery. I was impressed at how tiny all the sculptures were and how clearly they depicted the Japanese lifestyle back in the 17th century. I came across this piece called "Dragon". I don't quite understand the reason but I've always been intrigued by dragons. I even have a dragon tattoo on my ankle. I think they are amazingly mysterious creatures. I thought this piece was interesting because it showed a different version of a dragon. Almost like a dragon fetus. I've always imagined dragons to be grand and full grown. If dragon's aren't real, this artist brought them closer to reality to me by showing one in the the first stages of life. It's almost like a scientific piece if evidence that they exist.




Back in the Hammer building I had also came across this painting of The Last Supper. Every house with my family members has some version of the Last Supper hanging up on the wall. Like my house it's usually in the dinning room. Growing up I can't even count how many different versions of this painting I've seen. Although, I've never seen one this big, I have seen many.




Here's an example of a "different" version of the last supper. I thought it was pretty funny. It's Kobe and his disciples.


On the first level of the Broad Contemporary Art building I got to walk through this crazy architectural piece. It was necessarily one I could identify with, but I just thought it was super cool and I wanted to post a pic up of it.  It was pretty trippy walking through it because the walls were bending in and out as you walked through. I thought would would never get out! hehe

No comments:

Post a Comment